Friday, March 15, 2013

"Hamburger" Helper

I developed this recipe a year or so ago.  It's a vegan mock-up of a childhood classic:  Hamburger Helper.  I've made it a few times and every time I am reminded just how tasty it is.  Tonight I measured everything out so I could share it here.  It's a yummy, delectable dish that I really recommend you try!  Now excuse me while I go chow down!



1 box whole wheat penne pasta
1 pack firm tofu
14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 Tablespoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1 bag vegetarian burger-style crumbles
1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
1 onion, chopped

Cook the pasta until it is almost done.  Drain and set aside.  In food processor, combine tofu, crushed tomatoes, garlic, chili powder, cumin and hot sauce.  Process until smooth.  In Dutch oven, saute onions, mushrooms and crumbles for 5 minutes.  Add pasta and sauce from food processor.  Combine and let cook over low heat for 20 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment