Monday, January 17, 2011

Vegan Quiche (The Smash-Up Edition)

Don't judge the taste of this dish by the fact that I can't cut tomatoes beautifully straight :)

For my birthday, my good friend Karina gave me my present very early.  She sought out our friend Robin, a fellow veg-head, for advice on a really good vegan cookbook.  Robin recommended and Karina got me Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.  I've surmised from several of the veg websites that I frequent that every vegan knows Isa; well, knows her recipes anyway.  I chose to make her Classic Broccoli Quiche to become acquainted with Isa and the world of the Post Punk Kitchen.  Here's the recipe.

But alas, even, the best laid plans tend to change, especially in my kitchen.  I had all the ingredients on hand when I decided on a lovely relaxing morning that: yes, I want to make a quiche, but no, I wasn't feeling broccoli quiche.  What I wanted instead was something similar to a dish I made back in my meat-eating days.  I used to make a quiche (maybe more accurately a frittata?) with eggs, sausage, onions, mushrooms, peppers and cheese.  So I made a vegan version with tofu, soy sausage, onions, mushrooms, peppers and Daiya cheese.  It was divine!  I think it actually is much better than the original because it has more flavor and probably won't kill you.  (Just remember, if your meal hasn't been killed, then it's likely not to kill you!)  This recipe is only possible because of two recent discoveries in my kitchen:  soy sausage and Daiya cheese.  The soy sausage is available at Kroger in Elkins.  We really like the LifeLight breakfast sausage.  It's sold in a tube, just like regular sausage.  It's expensive, just like everything else veg-heads eat, but is really, really good!  I made biscuits and "sausage" gravy with it awhile ago that rivaled the original meaty version.  And Daiya cheese...oh Daiya cheese.  Robin raves about Daiya cheese and for good reason!  It's vegan cheese (no dairy involved) that melts and has a wonderfully rich flavor!  But Daiya is not only expensive, but also hard to procure in the hills.  The closest place to Elkins that sells it is in Morgantown.  We've began stock piling Daiya when we find it!  

So, enough with my ramblings and onto the recipe:

1 medium onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
1/2 tube soy sausage
1/2 cup cashews
1 pound extra firm tofu
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoon mustard
4 ounces Daiya shredded cheese (you can use dairy cheese if opting for the vegetarian version)
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large skillet or Dutch oven, saute onions, pepper, mushroom and soy sausage for about 10 minutes.  While this is going on, put cashews in food processor.  Pulse until they are turned to fine crumbs.  Squeeze the water out of the tofu (I do this by wrapping it in paper towels and pressing it against the counter.).  Crumble the tofu into the food processor.  Add the thyme, oregano, salt, pepper and mustard.  Process until mixture is relatively smooth.  Place mixture in casserole dish.  Mix in onions, peppers, mushrooms and soy sausage.  Top with shredded Daiya and then sliced tomatoes.  Bake for 40 minutes.  Makes about 4 servings.     

No comments:

Post a Comment