Thursday, January 31, 2013

Oatmeal Whole Wheat Quick Bread

I'm a simple kind of gal.  I didn't register for china when I got married.  I wear flip flops instead of dress shoes.  I love things that make life easier, such as technology.  You might call me lazy, but I think I'm rather a genius :)

For well over a year, I have been trying to develop a good 100% whole wheat bread recipe that produces a light and fluffy loaf without a bread-machine, stand-up mixer or food processor.  I have tried dozens of recipes and kneaded until my arms are about to fall off.  I was tempted to try a wonderful recipe from Mother Earth News but it takes days, literally days!, to make one loaf.  I have yet to produce a loaf that is the quality I want.  I blame it on the nature of whole wheat; it produces a yummy, but very dense loaf.

So in my searches to find yet another recipe to try, I stumbled upon this one from All Recipes.  I've made it three times now, and it is awesome!   Of course I've modified it (I didn't feel like dirtying up my food processor just to grind up some oats!).  But what I've created is a wonderfully easy, wonderfully delicious quick bread that is healthy!  I'm looking forward to modifying the recipe and creating new versions of this bread.  But for now, here's the original:

2 cups quick oats (note: if you use rolled oats, you probably will want to grind them up in the food processor)
2 cups whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sweetener of choice (I have used maple syrup and splenda; honey would be good)
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups plain soy milk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Combine oats and milk in large bowl.  Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.  While you wait, gather the rest of your ingredients; then, mix in the rest of the ingredients.  Then, place dough/batter/mixture/whatever-you-want-to-call-it in a loaf pan.  Bake 1 hour.  It's done when you insert a knife, and it comes out clean.  If you use a liquid sweetener, it might take a bit longer to bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment