Tuesday, June 7, 2011

BBQ Bean Casserole

Look who's back!  I know, I know...it's been far too long since I blogged a good recipe.  I'm blaming it on three things:  homework, job work, lack of good recipes.  I'm kidding about the third one.  Actually, I have developed a nice repertoire of solid recipes, most of which are on this blog already.  I'm going to try this summer to make sure I post ALL those recipes in my repertoire that I have been relying on in the past several months but have neglected to post.  I'm also hoping to continue trying new recipes.  It's crazy to think that I've been a vegetarian for almost a year now.  It feels like I've lived my life this way forever, but the weight loss proves otherwise.  Yes, although most who see me in person already know it, you my humble reader from afar may not know that I have lost 40 pounds in the last year thanks to becoming a vegetarian.  I'm eating far, far more healthily than I was a year ago, and I exercise everyday.  Thanks to that I am a much healthier human than when I began this blog.  It's pretty stinking cool.  


Okay, now onto the thing I know you really are here for--my recipe!  This is recipe I've made a few times now, and we really like it.  If you don't have the burger-style crumbles, it's okay; you can leave those out and simply add another can of baked beans.  Here's the original:  http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6129.0 and below is my version:


1/2 pound (or equivalent) of burger-style crumbles (I used Boca)
1/2 onion diced
2 -  16 oz. can vegetarian baked beans
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup of Splenda or brown sugar
2 Tablespoons vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
1/2 cup plain soy milk


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


Saute burger crumbles and onion in Dutch oven.  When this is done, add baked beans, ketchup, Splenda, vinegar, salt and pepper.  Mix well.  In a bowl, mix the Jiffy and milk.  Use this to top the baked bean mixture; it makes a lovely cornbread crust.   Bake 45 minutes.  Makes 4 to 6 servings.

It looks so plain jane before I add the cornbread crust!

No comments:

Post a Comment