Friday, July 13, 2012

Banana Nut Baked Oatmeal



I posted on Facebook awhile ago that I was attempting a new baked oatmeal recipe.  This is not that recipe.  But I will give you a hint--the new recipe will involve blueberries!  So, while that recipe is under construction, I thought I'd whip up a new recipe.  Enter Banana Nut Baked Oatmeal.  I've been toying with this idea for a long time and finally got a chance to do it.  I found very ripe bananas on clearance at Save-A-Lot last week.  I didn't have time to use them right away, so I found a great trick online.  Peel bananas, put in freezer baggie, seal the bag and squeeze to mash the bananas inside the bag.  Place in freezer.  When you're ready to use the bananas, simply take the baggie out of the freezer and soak it in hot water for a few minutes.  Now you have mashed bananas ready for whatever you might need--banana nut bread, smoothies, or this great baked oatmeal recipe :)

3 cups oats (as always, personal preference on whether you use steel cut, old fashioned or quick oats)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup flax seed meal (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup sweetener of choice (I used Splenda)
2 mashed bananas
1 1/2 cups vanilla soy milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
chopped walnuts (optional)

Combine all your ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Bake in 8X8 or 9X9 pan at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.  Makes 4 servings.


1 comment:

  1. I have loved this bake each time I have made it. This I used apples and raisins. Even froze some of it!

    ReplyDelete