Sunday, June 3, 2012

Oatmeal Cranberry Pancakes



I love pancakes.  My dad was the expert pancake maker!  Pancakes were just one of his many talents. Brinner (breakfast for dinner) was a popular meal in my house growing up, and Dad made his fair share of pancakes on the weekends for us when Scott and I would come home to visit.  When I was little, he used to make them into cartoon characters--Mickey Mouse, Garfield, etc.  I'm still not as adept as he when it comes to making them--I usually make a mess and sometimes they get too big or end up doughy.  But I try because I love pancakes.  So on Friday, the first day of our summer break where we weren't doing anything (no homework, no volunteering, nothing but video games and movies), I woke up wanting to make cranberry pancakes.  And then I remembered the Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes I used to make.  I hit Google and found this recipe.  I don't own a VitaMix blender, so I used my trusty Cuisinart food processor.  These pancakes were so good that I made two batches!!!  The second time I didn't use my food processor, and I think they turned out a bit better, and I didn't have to clean up a food processor!  These pancakes are so good and yummy....check them out:

1 1/2 cups vanilla soy milk
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup oats (I used quick oats since that's what I had on hand)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1/4 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons Splenda or other sweetener

Mix your batter and make some pancakes!  This recipe yields about 5 to 6 normal-sized pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment