Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Vegetable and Chickpea Ragout

Oh my, how have I not blogged about this awesomeness! (By the way, awesomeness is my personal word of the week because I've been saying it constantly!) This is one of the first recipes I made when we became vegetarians: Vegetable and Chickpea Ragout. My parents went to Amish country in Pennsylvania before visiting us last weekend and brought me two large heads of broccoli. So, I just had to make this recipe! I was in bliss cutting up the broccoli! It was so fresh and wonderful...so much better than what I've bought in the store lately. I will admit that I probably was just a bit too excited by this broccoli! HA HA

But anyway, if you want a simple, yet delicious dish that's easy for a weeknight, check out my version:

2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
1 bell pepper, diced
1 cup broccoli, chopped
small can sliced olives
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 box of whole wheat penne pasta, cooked
salt & pepper to taste

Cook pasta. While this is happening, saute onion, garlic, pepper and broccoli in large pot. When pasta is done, drain and add to pot along with all other ingredients. Let simmer on low for 10 to 15 minutes. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment