Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Pumpkin Pasta


This recipe was one of those risk-takers.  You know the recipe that sounds sort of strange but maybe has some potential?  I mean, whoever would have thought to combine pumpkin and pasta?  Well, apparently The Vegan Stoner did.  I was intrigued with the idea of using winter squash or pumpkin to create a creamy pasta dish.  From the reviews/comments, it sounded like a healthier alternative to macaroni and cheese.  And I was very surprised!  My version of Pumpkin Pasta is pretty yummy, fairly healthy, quick to make and a great comfort food dish!  It makes a great weeknight supper when you're tired and don't want to put a lot of effort into dinner.  Which pretty much sums up this evening for me :)

1 box whole wheat penne pasta (about 13 ounces)
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
2 Tablespoons vegan margarine (I use Blue Bonnet Light)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
salt to taste

Cook pasta and drain.  Then, combine pasta and rest of ingredients in large skillet or Dutch oven.  Cook for 10 to 15 minutes.  Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment