Saturday, July 23, 2011

Homemade Salad Dressing

We had some friends over last night for dinner since they were in town from Glenville.  It was so nice to entertain, make a nice meal and to have the time to do both!  The menu consisted of Grilled Roasted Corn, Corn & Beans Salad (the all-bean edition), Garden Salad with Homemade Dressing and Blueberry Crumble for dessert.  It was such a fabulous meal and a nice time to catch up with friends.    The Homemade Dressing was a great compliment to everything.  I debated for days about what else to make besides the Beans Salad and Grilled Roasted Corn.  Finally, I settled on making a nice, colorful salad with homemade dressing.  The dressing search took me another few days--this was a difficult decision!  I knew the Beans Salad had a distinct flavor, and I needed something to complement, not compete, with it.  This recipe came from a cookbook given to me by my dear friend Karina; it was a recommendation for a birthday present from another friend, Robin.  (PS~If you haven't checked out Robin's blog, what are you waiting for people?!)  Given my natural tendency to never follow a recipe by-the-book, I naturally tweaked it.  Here's my version:

1 green onion stalk, chopped
2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons maple syrup
4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
1 to 2 tablespoons honey (depending on how sweet you want the dressing)
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Blend everything in a food processor or blender.  Poor into a jar and chill in fridge.  Shake the jar before serving.  Makes about 1 cup of dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment